HNW - Mucking Huge Tapestry

amreid@qbe.com.au amreid at qbe.com.au
Wed Mar 28 14:55:03 PST 2001

Kathryn wrote:

"2. what do I use to deal with the raw edges of the detail pieces? What
little experience I've had with Fraycheck is that it leaves hard little
nubs. I was thinking of using a water soluable glue stick to keep the raw
edges in place long enough for me to embroider over the edges of the
details."

Kathryn, I have had some succeess with using diluted white PVA glue, the sort
often used for craft and woodworking.  If you dilute it roughly half/half with
water it's possible to build up thin layers of glue on the back of the edges
with a paintbrush, without it seeping through.  The dilution also stops it
setting too hard.

Mind you I was using this technique on Elizabethan 'slips' I was making, which
were a thickish linen canvas and silk thread, so reasonably thick.  The other
thing to note is that the slips had a black border, which would have hidden the
glue if it did seep through.  (Plus a couched gold thread was them run around
the edges, hiding any roughness.)   I got this idea from reading how slips in
the period often had paste applied to the back, and sometimes even card, to
stabilise them.  It allowed me to cut away the waste linen to within a thread of
the stitching without fraying.

(And I'm pleased to report the cushion they were applied to has stood the test
of time well.)

If you decide to try this be sure to try a test piece first, just in case it
seeps through too much.  Or maybe play with diluting it a bit less.

Andrew
Sydney, Australia
(SCA - Bartolomeo Agazzari)