HNW - coverlets

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Fri Mar 30 00:23:36 PST 2001

Anne of Bradford wrote:

> Schuette, Marie and Muller-Christensen, Sigrid.  The Art of Embroidery.
> Thames and Hudson, London. 1964.  (There's another version out there
> called the History of Embroidery published in (I think) New York.  Oh
> wow.  If you've got the money, get one of these.  Out of print, but not
> too tough to find if you're persistent.  Imagine two needlework
> scholars, a camera, and access to the back rooms of museums, convents
> and private collections all over Europe.  Turn that into 29 color plates
> and 563 black and whites, with date, country of origin, materials,
> technique, other published places a piece might be found, etc.  Are you
> drooling yet?  I got a hold of a third or so generation photocopy, and
> was so frustrated by the lack of detail on the plates (I just KNEW the
> book would be better) that I went and forked over about $225 (a bargain
> price for this book).  Extremely recommended.

Prepare to be ill.  Someone just recently posted on the h-costume list
that she got a copy of Schuette for US$18.  Yup; that's not a typo.
Apparently an ex-library copy and a seller who had no idea what it was
worth.

*ARGH*
--Charlene

--
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.  -- Stanislaus
Lezczynski
mailto:findbook at flash.net
=====
For Sale:  Earnshaw, Pat; Lace in Fashion:  From the Sixteenth to the
Twentieth Centuries