HNW - books/values

Deborah Pulliam pulliam at acadia.net
Sat Mar 31 06:50:26 PST 2001

<<Prepare to be ill.  Someone just recently posted on the h-costume list
that she got a copy of Schuette for US$18.  Yup; that's not a typo.
Apparently an ex-library copy and a seller who had no idea what it was
worth.>>

Happens all the time. One of the best ways of finding good deals is to join
your local Friends of the Library, and offer to help with book sales. It's
great fun, very interesting, and you're bound to find excellent deals (as
well as helping your library.)

Some of my best finds in recent years (which I repriced more
appropriately): unopened, unused hardback of Peter Collingwood's Rug
Weaving for $1 (I marked it up to $30 and put it on the "better book"
table) and the two-volume letters and diaries of Mrs. Delany for $2. I paid
$50 for it and resold it for the same amount, because I already had my own
copy.

Library sales frequently have donations from attics and private libraries,
as well as their own books for sale.

Deborah