[HNW] Ducerceau

Sara Galley saragalley at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 11:41:36 PST 2002

I don't think it's so much that they don't want anybody to look, as that
there's a conflict between the goal of spreading knowledge and the goal of
preserving the resources.  Every time a rare book is opened, exposed to
light, touched, and so forth, there's another chance for it to deteriorate
further, so there's a very good reason for keeping those exposures to a
minimum -- it's not just a sort of academic stinginess.

You should definitely meet with someone on the library staff, preferably
face to face, explain your purpose, offer any credentials you might have,
and anything else that might help them to understand your serious
scholarly interest.  References from the staff at the costume department
of the Danish National Museum, since you've worked with them, might be
useful, as they would confirm what you say about your scholarly interest,
and also verify that you handle items with due care.  All these things
will help the library staff see your request as being on the "knowledge"
side of the scale, and not the "deterioration" side.

Also, if they do have existing photographs or other reproductions, you
should look at those first and see if they'll serve your purpose, so you'd
never have to actually touch the rare book; I can't imagine the library
staff having any objection at all to your viewing a reproduction if one
exists, as the deterioration argument simply wouldn't apply to that.

Sara