[HNW] (no subject)

Michal McCullough mj_mcc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 08:12:33 PST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Hi to everyone on the list!

I am poking my head out of my lurk hole to ask for some advice. I
am(insanely)making a kilt for my ex(?)BF to wear to my friend's SCA wedding.
(I know, pleated kilts aren't "period," but he thought the Great Kilt, my
choice, was too complicated, which is why I am stuck doing this!) I'm mostly
following the Folkwear pattern, which uses a lot of handsewing, mostly fell
stitch. The problem is that my handstitching tends to be kind of
higgeldy-piggeldy. The thought occurred to me that to keep the stitches
uniform I could treat this like counted thread embroidery. *But*, one, my
enthusiasm for embroidery of all sorts far outstrips my ability, and two, we
are using a grey and black tartan.  So my question is: can you count threads
on black ground fabric, and if so, how difficult is it?  Can I do this without
going blind and/or ripping my hair out?  Also, I was looking at the illustrations
of the stitch again, and it only shows a single thread being used.  Is this
going to be strong enough? (I'm using quilting thread).  I'll admit that the
h-pness of my stitches isn't quite as noticeable with just one thread, but I
don't want his pleats to fall out!

Thanks for any advice you can give me and I apologize if this isn't completely
on topic for the list.  If anyone has used this pattern or hand-sewn a kilt
before and has any tips or tricks they would like to pass on to me off-list I
would love to hear them!

Michal (just like the boy's name, but no "e")