[HNW] long stitch

Megan McConnell madilayn at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 16:11:27 PST 2002

Hi Nancy

I know it - and hate it!!!  All the long stitch I have
ever seen was just really long stitches using wool
over several rows of canvas.

They could be horozontal, vertical or diagonal and it
seems to have evolved from florentine or bargallo
work.

I have never actually seen instructions for it - and
the kits around now seem to have the canvas and wool.

I will look though, and see what I can find.

Megan
--- SNSpies at aol.com wrote:
> Hello to the list.
>
> Are there any list members who remember a popular
> needlepoint/embroidery
> stitch from the, oh, 70s and 80s called "long
> stitch"?  It was particular
> popular for doing wall hangings, and I believe it
> may have originated in the
> Scandinavian countries.  Is there any chance that
> someone on this list has a
> book or instructions on this technique hidden deep
> in a file or basement?  I
> would be eternally and embarrassingly grateful for
> any help with this.  You
> understand, of course, that in a fit of cleaning
> frenzy many years ago, I
> threw away just such a book.  And of course, I can
> not tell my husband
> because he would spend the rest of our married life
> chortling and saying "I
> told you so!" which would just be so unbearable.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nancy

=====
Megan McConnell
ICQ:  57164109

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's  so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."    -G. Stoddart