[HNW] Abegg Book Availability

amreid@qbe.com.au amreid at qbe.com.au
Sun Feb 24 14:51:53 PST 2002

Mary wrote:

""Apropos Patterns for Embroidery, Lace and Woven Textiles."

A well researched historical treatise."

Yes it certainly is, I have a copy and have referred to it many, many times.
Being able to see the printed pattern, and then a surviving 'period' piece made
from the exact pattern has a lot of value in terms of research.  It also helps
to put to bed many of the great myths, including the great Cross-Stitch Isn't
'Period' myth, as there are examples in the book.  It also tracks just how
frequently pattern book printers copied each other, or bought each other's
plates.  So sometimes a patterns printed in a 17th C or 18th C book can have its
origins in an early 16th C book.  Very, very interesting book.

Oh and mine cost me about $125.00 Australian, but is worth every cent.  A friend
of mine picked up a copy on a sale table about 10 years ago for $15.00.  <sigh>

My 2 ducats worth.

Andrew
Sydney, Australia
(SCA - Bartolomeo Agazzari)