[HNW] Abegg Book Availability

Connie Marie Carroll Connie.Bunny at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 25 00:33:22 PST 2002

But WHERE is it available??

Mistress Bunny

-----Original Message-----
From: h-needlework-admin at ansteorra.org
[mailto:h-needlework-admin at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of amreid at qbe.com.au
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 5:52 PM
To: h-needlework at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [HNW] Abegg Book Availability

Mary wrote:

""Apropos Patterns for Embroidery, Lace and Woven Textiles."

A well researched historical treatise."

Yes it certainly is, I have a copy and have referred to it many, many times.
Being able to see the printed pattern, and then a surviving 'period' piece
made
from the exact pattern has a lot of value in terms of research.  It also
helps
to put to bed many of the great myths, including the great Cross-Stitch
Isn't
'Period' myth, as there are examples in the book.  It also tracks just how
frequently pattern book printers copied each other, or bought each other's
plates.  So sometimes a patterns printed in a 17th C or 18th C book can have
its
origins in an early 16th C book.  Very, very interesting book.

Oh and mine cost me about $125.00 Australian, but is worth every cent.  A
friend
of mine picked up a copy on a sale table about 10 years ago for $15.00.
<sigh>

My 2 ducats worth.

Andrew
Sydney, Australia