[HNW] cat playing with linen thread

Mary M. Riedel mmriedel at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 1 18:10:38 PST 2002

Whenever I look at yarn, one of the things I do automatically is to hold it
to my nose and take in the scent of it.  I don't know why/when I started
this.  Each one has a very definite scent and I'm definitely attracted to
some and not to others.

My cat will go up and smell something and if it is at all appealing then she
will start rubbing all over it and gnawing it if I let her go that far.  If
a cat is attracted to yarn, they may be able to snif it out, even if hidden.
One way or the other, it's better if they don't get a hold of any at all
because they can't stop from ingesting it once they get it in the mouth and
the string starts down that path.

I also sneeze immediately after taking a wintergreen, such as an Altoids.  I
love it, but it causes one big sneeze immediately.  Have you noticed how
cats will snuggle into catnip and then have a few good sneezez?  Catnip is
part of the mint family as are spearmint, peppermint, and wintergreen.

MaryR
Toluca Lake, CA

| He can smell it?  Is this some kind of linen=grass thing in the cat's
brain?