[HNW] What do I use???

Lynn Downward LDownward at chori.org
Thu Jan 3 11:46:37 PST 2002

Good luck on your exciting project.  He'll look wonderful!

I hate metal thimbles!  My fingers get sweaty, the needle slides off
them, they never fit right.  I've been using the leather thimbles for
about five years now and I think they're great.  I use it on my
middle finger which is not where I was first taught to use it; it
just made more sense.  You can't use the quilters' thimble on leather
work, of course, but I've never had a problem with any other
material.  Velveteen seems thick, but a sharp needle runs right
through the cotton of the velveteen like butter.

I've gotten fussier in my dotage with my needles for handwork.  I've
taken to milliners' needles for every type of hand sewing I do.
They're thin, sharp and will bend readily without snapping, and I
find that the bend I get (sometimes on purpose when working on things
like buckram) is quite helpful when doing decorative stitches.  The
English call milliners' needles straws, and John James makes them.
They should be available all over, maybe even JoAnn Fabrics.

Enjoy your project,
LynnD