[HNW] Re: Slate frames

Amy Wilson wilson at mrs.org
Fri Jan 4 13:14:37 PST 2002

I have one of the 12" size slate frames that Linn talks about.  I bought it
from the Grip-It booth at a needlework show after trying it in one of Linn's
classes.  As Linn said, it's very sturdy and built for life.  It holds the
work at a very even, taut tension and is far superior to stretcher bars or
hoops.  If you are a serious stitcher and you aspire to professional-level
work, it's worth the investment.  The frame is heavy, though, so plan to
work hands-free, either by propping it against a table edge or getting a
frame holder that can handle a thick, heavy frame.  I already had a Grip-It
"Sit on It" which I love, and its jaws grip the frame just fine, although
the frame is a little too heavy for it.  I think Grip-It sells gravity
adjusters that will take of that; I haven't looked into it.  My advice would
be to call Grip-It and let them help you figure out what you need (standard
disclaimer applies, no affiliation, etc.).

Linn, how do you hold your slate frame when you work on it?

Amy