[HNW] Re: Welsh Favors

Noramunro@aol.com Noramunro at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 15:34:59 PST 2002

I'm not sure where this post came in, as I'm finding this quoted (possibly
out of context) in another message BUT

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>  > She's on her own, as there really is no such thing. SCA favors are an
>  > SCA construct- favors in period are conjectural, and nothing like what
>  > we have and use.

It is true that SCA "fingertip towel" favours are an entirely SCA construct,
but I wouldn't say that favours in period are conjectural, as there is a
rather a lot of documentary evidence for them -- rather that they tended to
be more sensible artifacts than slips of fabric that fall off belts in the
men's room!  There is also evidence in later period for "purpose built"
favours; in fact there was a whole Elizabethan subindustry which seems to
have been dedicated to custom designed handkerchiefs.

I've done a bit of research on favours in SCA period; my article (published
in the Spring 2001 _Tournaments Illuminated_) is webbed at

http://hometown.aol.com/noramunro/Tokens/index.htm

regards,
Stephanie/Alianora