[HNW] Re: History of Hardanger

dibba@mindspring.com dibba at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 22 05:56:28 PST 2002

>Have you ever researched it in Greece?? I remember a few years ago looking
>at a magazine, {oh dear, which one, Smithsonian,? National Geographic? some
>needlework rag? Something else???} and seeing a picture of some heirloom
>table linens from Greece worked in what looked like Hardanger.....
>
>Mairi, Atenveldt
>Mary, Arizona

Greetings,

I haven't followed this topic very closely, but a few thoughts have
come to mind.  Ancient Persia was mentioned as a place of origin for
Hardanger, and Greece would fit into that nicely.  After Alexander
conquered Persia, Greek became the language of commerce.  This
allowed a common communication throughout 12 million square miles -
I'm including, pretty much, the entire area of his conquest.
Interestingly, this wide-spread use of the Greek language allowed
Christianity to spread, and along with it, many aspects of all the
various cultures contained within that vast territory.

Regarding the style of  pre-1600 Hardanger not being exactly as it
now appears - shouldn't we consider adaptation and evolution of the
technique a possibility?  Certainly the cross, and other stitches,
evolved and were adapted and changed by various cultures.  When I
once catalogued some very old Spanish samplers, I was struck by the
similarity of the geometric use of satin stitch to Hardanger.  The
only difference being, in many cases, no open areas.

Just some thoughts.

Best,

Elisabeth