[HNW] HIstory of Hardanger

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 23 06:01:42 PST 2002

Dear List:

I'm sorry I recently threw away some of my notes, including a page I
xeroxed from one of the Mary Gostelow embroidery books. She dated hardanger
to the 18th century in Norway. I remember xeroxing that  page because the
historicity of hardanger had come up in various debates before, and
Gostelow was the first mention I had as to date, *anywhere*. I  am
extremely sceptic of any source which says it evolved as its own needlework
form pre-18th century. The article in a back issue of PIECEWORK quite
blithely mentions 1650 but doesn't back it up with any source.

I made several research trips to the Philadelphia Main Library, and while
pursueing other needlework forms I saw a raft of 19th century books, (in
various languages)  many with photos of extant hardanger work. These 19th
century pieces were simpler in form and design than modern hardanger.  I
wish I could quote you "chapter and verse" but I can't. I would simply
suggest that anyone seriously interested in tracking down historical
verficiation for hardanger work should do so by looking at books in German
and various Scandanavian languages, preferably in a library at a college or
university, or a main library in a city.

Good luck and good hunting!

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"