[HNW] Ducerceau, Paul Androuet

Christina L Biles bilescl at okstate.edu
Thu Jan 31 11:05:39 PST 2002

Bjarne said:
>>>Durcerceau, Paul Androuet "Ornaments et Fleurs pour la Broderie par P.
Androuet Du Cerceau A Paris Chez N. Langlois 1670
It is a book that i know the library has.
Am i allowed to study this book at the library? Do you think they would
permision me to sit and make some drawings from the book?

Bjarne,

        What type of library is it?  The standard practice for libraries
here in the U.S. is that the open stack collection may be accessed by
anyone who walks into the library.  Special collections, which I would
expect this to be in, usually have more stringent policies.  Most rare
book collections have a members only policy, with exception by permission.
 Visiting scholars can usually get permission by prearrangement.   It
sounds like a museum library?  If so, they usually do visitation by
prearrangement.

        For the academic library I work in, to be a "member" you have to
be affiliated with OSU (student, staff, faculty) or part of our local
community.  If you lived in Stillwater, but were not affiliated with the
university, you could get a "courtesy card" which would allow you
borrowing privileges and access to Special Collections.  For you (Bjarne
who lives in Europe), you would contact the head of Special Collections
and explain that you would like to come in and use part of the collection
and why.

        Really, it depends on your library.  Unless you have a card for
the library, treat this as a museum visit.  Contact the head of their rare
books collection. Put on your "I'm a scholar" hat, mention any credentials
(such as being a graduate of a costuming school with an emphasis in
historical costumes), list references (such as professors, curators, or
librarians) if you have them, and mention the specific sources you would
like to peruse, and that you found the reference in the book they
published.    The standard practice in a rare book room  is to make you
leave your things in a locker or at a desk.  They will then issue you
white cotton acid free gloves, a pencil, and a pad of paper (around here
it is yellow, lined paper).  The book is placed on a special padded book
rest to prevent stress on the spine.   Some places will do reproductions
for you for anywhere from a nominal to huge fee.  I would ask about
availability of reproductions.

If you need an academic reference, feel free to pass along my contact
information.  (I only speak English and tiny bit of Spanish.)

Christina Biles
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University