[HNW] Books by Santina Levey

Sarah Randles s-randles at adfa.edu.au
Sun Sep 1 20:02:49 PDT 2002

At 15:20 30/08/02 -0400, you wrote:
><<Would they have published the same book under two different names? >>
>
>The American publisher chose to publish Tina's book under a different
>title (she wasn't happy with that, either.)

This often happens because books are published in 'regions' and a copyright
agreement covers a particular region but not others.  Europe is generally
one region and North America another, which is why you often see in
American books, a 'not to be sold outside the USA' restriction.  Often a
book cannot be published by the same publisher in two different regions, so
the initial publisher sells the rights to another publisher, who needs to
alter the title for copyright reasons.  Sometimes, too the edition will be
different - e.g. an American edition will need to be reprinted with US
spellings, so the difference of title distinguishes the edition.  It isn't
necessarily the publishers just being awkward for the sake of it (although
it can be).

Sarah
Sarah Randles
s.randles at adfa.edu.au

Australian National Dictionary Centre
Australian National University
ACT 0200
Phone: (02) 6125 0476 Fax: (02) 6125 0475
(On Thursdays and Fridays, I am at the School of English, ADFA on Ph: (02)
6268 8387, same e-mail address.)