[HNW] Cross Stitch Pre 1600

Skinner Linn skinner02 at sprynet.com
Wed Sep 4 09:01:50 PDT 2002

The question of early cross-stitch often comes up.  While rummaging for something else, I ran across a reference and B&W plate of a small carpet (table carpet?) from 1533.  Wool cross stitch on linen ground. Strapwork and coats of arms and borders found in early German pattern books.  Made in memory of Alexander Stokar-Tschachtlan (d. 1519) The family is from the Schaffhausen area (from where many of my ancestors began their migration to the US) and is presently in the Schweizerisches Landesmuseum, Zurich.

"Needlework, an Illustrated History" Harriet Bridgeman and Elizabeth Drury Eds. ISBN:  0 448 22066 0

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters