[HNW] Cross Stitch Pre 1600

Hanson, Carol CHANSON at PARTNERS.ORG
Wed Sep 4 09:30:46 PDT 2002

Did it seem clear that the book knew the difference between "cross-stitch" and
"long-armed cross-stitch" (or "two-sided Italian cross-stitch" for that matter)?
Or was it a good enough photo to tell?  Sometimes I'm not sure I trust the
captions. :-)

- Carol Hanson (Caryl de Trecesson)

	... I ran across a reference and B&W plate of a small carpet (table
carpet?) from 1533.  Wool cross stitch on linen ground. Strapwork and coats of
arms and borders found in early German pattern books.  Made in memory of
Alexander Stokar-Tschachtlan (d. 1519) The family is from the Schaffhausen area
(from where many of my ancestors began their migration to the US) and is
presently in the Schweizerisches Landesmuseum, Zurich.