[HNW] household needlework 1500s - English

Liz / Cozit cozit at comcast.net
Wed Sep 11 10:21:35 PDT 2002

Has anyone come across a decent (or half decent) book about
embroidery/needlework on household goods... cushions, carpets, hangings,
etc. ... in England during the 1500s?  Ideally, I'm looking for
information/pictures for 1500-1550, but anytime during that century
would be helpful.  I know I've come across a mention here or there about
cushions that had been worked, but they've been vague, and since I can't
remember exactly where I read of such, I'm not certain that what I
remember is valid or not in any way.

Basically, I want to start something largish to use for attention
getting at demos, but don't want it to be something with extremely fine
work, or that really does need to stay completely clean from beginning
to end (though I plan to keep much of the work that isn't being worked
on covered most of the time).... and I had the thought that a cushion,
or table carpet type thing, or even a wall hanging might just fit the
bill.... cushion preferable because of its middling size... big, but not
unwieldy.

Thanks,
-Elisabeth