[HNW] household needlework 1500s - English

Mary Edenfield ladymari at cybertrails.com
Wed Sep 11 19:19:41 PDT 2002

> Has anyone come across a decent (or half decent) book about
> embroidery/needlework on household goods... cushions, carpets, hangings,
> etc. ... in England during the 1500s?  Ideally, I'm looking for
> information/pictures for 1500-1550, but anytime during that century
> would be helpful.

i think some of the items from hardwick hall may have been worked in the
late 1500's. The book about them by Santina levy is currently out of print,
but you may be able tofind a used copy or get it through the library. i too
have become interested in domestic embroidery, table carpets, hangings,
cushion covers, et. as a means of beautifying my camp and merchant quarters.
i am currently toying with the idea of doing some large hangings similar to
those from hardwick but am also on the lookout for other peices to emulate.
mairi,atenveldt