OT: Re: [HNW] New Books

Báine baine at microcore.net
Thu Sep 19 08:14:34 PDT 2002

Kirrily Robert wrote:

> While we're on the topic of murder mysteries...
>
> I have recently read two Elizabethan murder mysteries, by two different
> authors, that used blackwork as major plot devices.  In both books they
> just didn't "get it".
>
> The first one, set in the fairly early years of Elizabeth's reign, had a
> blackworked doublet that was important to the plot.  Now, who in the
> 1560s would have blackworked a man's doublet? (in an all-over pattern,
> if I recall correctly, as seen in 1580s sleeves and foreparts or those
> 1600ish womens jackets)  The only man in a blackworked doublet that I
> can recall having ever seen is one from 1590, in one of the Thomasina
> Beck books, and that was pretty unusual.

IIRC, there is a portrait of Henry VIII showing his shirt as being heavily
blackworked, but I don't recall seeing or reading anything about blackworked
doublets before the late 16th century and I've been doing blackwork for 15
years.  I have read about a couple of early doublets that had been heavily
embroidered, but the embroidery wasn't described in detail and I can't
remember which reference book I saw it in.  I do remember it was on ILL, but
I've slept since then.  <smile>

Báine