[HNW] Period crochet

Ms Berard msberard at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 22 12:02:28 PDT 2002

Carolyn Kayta Barrows wrote:

> I am under the impression that Potato Famine relief, in the form of
> teaching girls to crochet, comes a year or two after the worst of the
> Potato Famine itself.  And the Irish already had a bobbin-lace industry at
> that time, priced into the bobbin lace market (=not cheap).

I wasn't referring so much to the time as to the fact that many of the
schools were founded by religious orders and therefore many had nun's
teaching them. Thus many may come to see that nun's work=crochet.

Of course others were not religious based.

> I think that the fact that new technique of
> >publishing pictures that are very clear helped this explosion. These
> >engravings(?) are so clear that often you can count the stitches when
> >you need to.
>
> The earlier engravings were done by hand, not by photography.  So whether
> or not you can work from the engravings depends on the skill of the
> engraver.  Some engravers only showed the general shape of the work, while
> others (bless them) showed every little thread crossing.

I'm sure that some new technique was involved but I don't know the name.
It made pictures cheaper to print thus many more were used. And in a
pattern book that would be a real seller.

Onaree

--
Ubi dubium ibi libertas:  Where there is doubt, there is freedom. --
Latin proverb