[HNW] period wwall hangings

Mary Edenfield ladymari at cybertrails.com
Tue Sep 24 08:12:35 PDT 2002

i am hoping somebody here will have an idea;-) i would like to embroider some wall hangings for the inside of my merchant booth, to hang in front of the area we use for a kitchen, to hide all the mess and mundanities there. i am looking for something along the lines of crewelwork hangings, but most of those examples are post 1600.[and i want pre 1600] or only seem to be used around beds, not on walls. the other style i'm finding is like the oxburgh hangings, where the motifs are in tent stitch on linen cut out and applied to velvet. however, again, they seem to be for beds [but do you know where there is a picture of the whole panels of these? all i can find are the individual motifs, not the designs in between them or how they are arranged on the ground fabric] i have the book about the hardwick hall textiles and know about the appliqued hangings. something like that would also work, though i don't care for the subjects used at hardwick and would prefer something that looks more like the period tapestries. i have also thought of just adapting a period tapestry design and doing it in crewelwork. What do you all think?
mairi, atenveldt