[HNW] Re: H-needlework digest, Vol 1 #485 - 10 msgs

Carol Hewett chewett at phillips.exeter.edu
Tue Sep 24 11:13:20 PDT 2002

Have a look at the...errr, 15th-16th century, I believe, Swiss and South
german "whitework" (I believe also referred to as opus tutanicum--and I
know I've spelled that wrong) hangings.  There are sevear examples in
Schuette.  Basically, natural white linen background, with desings
outlined in stem stitch and filled in with a variety of stitche (offhand,
I think I can remember stem, chain, and several varieties of herringbone-
-many of the stitches I could figure out how they're worked but have yet
to see them in a needlework book. Mostly white linen thread, with some
brown/tan, and pastel pinks and blues--but if your're concerned about
dirt you could probably work in slightly darker colors without going too
far off.  Most of the existing examples are religious picutres, but I'm
planning to take a secular story from a manuscruipt and do that instead.
Looks to be a farily fast-working style.

Anyone who can point me at books with more details, please do--I haven't
had much luck researching!

Yours
Allison/Alethea