[HNW] Re: Opus Teutonicum

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Tue Sep 24 21:02:34 PDT 2002

At 2:13 PM -0400 9/24/02, Carol Hewett wrote:
>Have a look at the...errr, 15th-16th century, I believe, Swiss and South
>german "whitework" (I believe also referred to as opus tutanicum--and I
>know I've spelled that wrong) hangings.  There are sevear examples in
>Schuette.  Basically, natural white linen background, with desings
>outlined in stem stitch and filled in with a variety of stitche (offhand,
>I think I can remember stem, chain, and several varieties of herringbone-
>-many of the stitches I could figure out how they're worked but have yet
>to see them in a needlework book. Mostly white linen thread, with some
>brown/tan, and pastel pinks and blues--but if your're concerned about
>dirt you could probably work in slightly darker colors without going too
>far off.  Most of the existing examples are religious picutres, but I'm
>planning to take a secular story from a manuscruipt and do that instead.
>Looks to be a farily fast-working style.
>
>Anyone who can point me at books with more details, please do--I haven't
>had much luck researching!

Not to toot our collective (guild) horn or anything, but you can find
some "starter" ideas and a bit of documentation in:

As with all the West Kingdom Needleworkers Guild stuff, you're
welcome to copy it for your own use.

We've also had REAL experts on this stuff pop up on this list from
time to time...