[HNW] Maltese lace dress on e-bay

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Wed Sep 25 03:28:04 PDT 2002

>Maltese and Genoese laces are thus of
>the same genre: both have podgy wheatears

That's those pointy-oval shapes I mentioned.

>flamboyance was well suited to the bombastic styles of the 1850s...

Cool.  That means I can wear my Maltese collar to Dickens' Fair.

Thank you for posting the reference.  My knowledge of lace is sketchy -
about enough to recognize that they had named it correctly in their e-bay
description.

>A quick check of the Genoese lace section shows that it was a bobbin lace
>with some needlework added in later (very small braids).

My Maltese collar seems to have been sewn together from small units, and it
does appear to be silk.

Kayta

    //// \\\