[HNW] veils

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 26 14:35:40 PDT 2002

Lady Milisent and List:

<I was wondering if anyone knew if it is period to embroidery veils?>

I used to wonder about that, too. I'd read books that stated, with
authority, that veils in the medieval period (England and France) were
embroidered, as if they were reading accounts. Yet I don't believe I've
ever seen primary evidence showing this. I took the safe route and made my
medieval veils white, so I'd be highly curious if anyone on the List has
seen primary evidence of any kind. (OK I doubt there are extant veils, but
how about wardrobe accounts referring to them?)

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"