[HNW] veils

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Fri Sep 27 14:14:59 PDT 2002

Dear Gabrielle and  List:

<A number of tomb effigies from the 14th and 15th centuries show women with
elaborately pleated and ruffled veils, which might be created by some type
of embroidery.>

These goffered veils are most likely created through weaving. I had a copy
of an article from Kaffen-und-Costumkunde (thankfully in English) which
explained this. I believe I once saw a copy of an article from a weaving
journal which also explained that this could be done in weaving by
deliberately weaving the middle section tighter than the edges, thereby
creating self ruffles. (sorry weavers, for mangling technical terms) I gave
away the photocopy I had so I can't quote anyone more details

My veils went with outfits I sewed from time periods of roughly 800-1360
(French or English). I believe I read from various costume books that veils
were of different colors, and sometimes embroidered all over, yet the
primary evidence I saw always showed white. (go figure).

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"