[HNW] 15th-century English needlework?

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Thu Apr 17 14:01:09 PDT 2003

I've been contacted by an author who would like to know what she can
read for background about embroidery and embroiderers in 15th-century
England (i.e. the 1400s). She is looking for information about
materials, techniques, stitches, and motifs and what they would have
been embroidered on, especially for luxury items.

I'm suggesting she start with _Medieval Craftsmen: Embroiderers_ and
Schuette & Christenson's _Pictorial History of Embroidery_.

Other things you'd suggest? This is not really one of the centuries I
know very much about.