[HNW] class on researching mistakes

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Tue Apr 22 22:16:25 PDT 2003

--
As a newbie to the list, here is one of the biggest headaches I have while
doing my research, especially as regards early period and ancient period
needlework:  So many sources on these topics use "embroidery" to mean
embellishment, or think they are describing the needle and thread
decorations that their culture is most familiar with.

If you have "Pre-Historic Textiles" by Barber, or can get it, not only is
it fascinating reading, but it goes through this sort of secondary/primary
documentation vocabulary pitfall pretty well.

Esther

At 11:32 PM 4/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm considering teaching a class at an uncoming event on research
>methods and mistakes.  I can handle the "how to do research" part just
>fine.  What I'd like is suggestions of mistakes people commonly make in
>doing research.  What sorts of things would you like to see included in
>such a class?
>
>Thanks,
>--Charlene
>
>--
>Music is now so foolish that I am amazed.  Everything that is wrong is
>permitted, and no attention is paid to what the old generation wrote as
>composition.  -- Samuel Scheidt (1651)

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---