[HNW] class on researching mistakes

Lois Perry perrylj at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 23 04:59:10 PDT 2003

Charlene Charette wrote:

> I'm considering teaching a class at an uncoming event on research
> methods and mistakes.  I can handle the "how to do research" part just
> fine.  What I'd like is suggestions of mistakes people commonly make in
> doing research.  What sorts of things would you like to see included in
> such a class?
>
> Thanks,
> --Charlene
>
> --
> Music is now so foolish that I am amazed.  Everything that is wrong is
> permitted, and no attention is paid to what the old generation wrote as
> composition.  -- Samuel Scheidt (1651)

One of the pitfalls that can through you research into a spin, is not
considering the bias author or society at the time the source was written.
Make sure you have a fundamental knowledge of the time period of the
source. Watch out for new information - credentials of the author, the
source and has even newer information superseded this source - especially
important when using secondary sources from the Victorian era.

Branwen