[HNW] class on researching mistakes

SNSpies@aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 05:27:06 PDT 2003

> >I'm considering teaching a class at an uncoming event on research
> >methods and mistakes.  I can handle the "how to do research" part just
> >fine.  What I'd like is suggestions of mistakes people commonly make in
> >doing research.  What sorts of things would you like to see included in
> >such a class?

Here's an important question I would ask:   What do you do if you don't know
that information in a well-thought-of reference book is incorrect?  If you
don't already know the information, how can you be sure that what you are
being told is correct?  For example, Elizabeth Barber is considered a
reference in this country, but she is absolutely dead-wrong about many things
in her books, specifically about several aspects of tablet weaving which I
can speak directly to.  And Francois Boucher, in what is considered a
reference book on the history of costume, labels a pair of 12th-century
nalbinded stockings as 7th-century. I would never have known this if I hadn't
written directly to the museum where the stockings are kept.

How do you keep from perpetuating errors??

Nancy