[HNW] class on researching mistakes

ED Reese edreese at m7bedlam.com
Thu Apr 24 10:43:31 PDT 2003

--
Dear Nancy,

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to give you a headache! :-)

I really appreciate you taking the time to be so seriously annoyed. Barber
was a favorite source of mine, for Mediterranean Warp Weighted loom stuff
-- but if she is so egregious in her errors on TW, then I have to take
everything else she says with a large Siberian salt mine.

You know, it sounds like she's actually taking some old, outdated secondary
sources as her TW "proof". I remember reading stuff like the Ramses belt
being TW before.

Thank you again for taking the time to show that this source has to be used
with great care.

Esther

At 05:38 PM 4/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>--
>
> > Well, heck. Live and learn. Yes, I would -- I think an excellent way to
> > counter "bad scholarship" is to critique it, and have such critiques
> > available. Surely, lists like this present a good forum for that?
>
>I now have a splitting headache.  Just read pp. 118-122 on tablet weaving in
>Barber's "Prehistoric Textiles" and I can not tell you how many ways she is
>wrong.  What a mess.  Tablet weaving is not generally done backstrap;  she's
>extrapolating from some modern practices. TW did not start in the Caucasus
>area and spread to Mesopotamia and Egypt;  the earliest TW in Egypt is found
>in the Coptic finds and was probably introduced by the Celts.  Oh good god,
>the mind boggles.
>
> > How do you feel about her bibliography? That was what really excited me.
>
>An author can have a brilliant bibliography, but it does not mean that
>they've used the information correctly.
>
>Please read Barber with great care.
>
>Nancy

>---