[HNW] Needlelace/Pattern-Darning Classes?

Hanson, Carol CHANSON at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Apr 29 13:45:13 PDT 2003

I know the two techniques have nothing in common :-)
but rather than bother the list with two messages...

Needlelace:
This is so much fun that I want to keep teaching it, but even the simplest
project takes people more than the given hour to get into it enough that I
feel they've gotten a good grasp of the techniques.  I'm thinking of making
the class be on *just* the stitches (e.g., running foundation lines and
doing buttonhole/overcast/weaving/filling, but not a connected piece of
lace), and also including the materials for a small project they can try
afterward (or in a second class).   Does this seem reasonable?   Or should I
bite the bullet and say this has to be a 2-3 hour class?

Pattern-Darning:
I've volunteered to teach this at an SCA event where the students are
supposed to display (mostly) completed articles by the end of the day (so
I'm *not* teaching needlelace! :-)).  I've got good examples from Egypt and
Iceland, but nothing in between except one 16th c. chalice veil from England
and the un-confirmed hint that people used it to fake Perugian towels.
Anyone know of other pre-1600 European examples of this technique?   And is
Mathilde Eschenbach/Rosemary Stecher on the list?  I'd love to talk to her
about her on-line info, but couldn't find an e-mail address on her site.

Thanks!

- Carol Hanson (SCA: Caryl de Trecesson)
  www.dragonbear.com