[HNW] Needlelace/Pattern-Darning Classes?

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Wed Apr 30 07:35:52 PDT 2003

I'm grinning ear-to-ear.  It's always a temptation to try to teach a
wonderfully complex technique you love in a very constricted time period.  I
always wind up unhappy when I try it.  It has taken me a few years to be
able to say - "right fine, I can teach X-students, X-technique in X-hours"
At first I underestimated my students and had too much time on my hands.
I'm just now beginning to get the hang and rhythm of it.  With my vast
experience of teaching at an SCA event<G>  ONE TIME!!!  I would say, what I
would do would be create a series of small projects that would be suitable
for introducing the technique in an hour's time, getting folks started and
then having excellent instructions for them to take away to finish up.
Robin Berry has developed a series of these sorts of kits for the West
Kingdom and I think this sort of approach is excellent not only for SCA but
for EGA and ANG and for shops and anywhere a little beginning taste of a
technique is wanted.

I save the really tough stuff for day long groups or a minimum of two hours
for some simple things.  I was talking to Liz Elvin (headmistress of the
Royal School of Needlework) a few weeks ago about our hopes that American
stitchers start using their teachers/tutors in the way often seen in the UK.
There if a group of people want to learn a needlework technique, they quite
often just engage the services of a tutor on an hourly or daily basis and
share out the cost amongst them.  This puts students in control of their
destiny and allows for in-depth study.  So find yourself a group and let
them know you "have needle will teach".

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters