[HNW] Elizabethan Embroidery Colors

Laren laren at webcon.net.au
Mon Aug 11 17:08:06 PDT 2003

At 07:00 PM 11/08/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello to the group.  Normally I just lurk and learn but today I need your
>assistance.  I am wanting to do another Elizabethan Sweetbag, but this time
>I need to find out what the colors of choice were.  I still have all of my
>other documentation for the bag and the materials used, I just need the
>colors.  If anyone knows, or can suggest a good book that would list some of
>the colors, or even a dying book from that time period that I could read.
>Any help at would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Auriana Ravenstein
>Principality of Gleann Abhann
>Kingdom of Meridies
>"So long as we love we serve; So long as we are loved by others, We are
>indispensable; And no man is useless while he has a friend."  Unknown.

Auriana,

I don't think there were any set colour schemes. The standard colours seem
to be bright reds, greens, blues, pinks, and some yellows. Silk tended to
take colour better than linen and wool, so the colours that were achieved
were quite bright and vivid. I think if you think jeweltones, you will be
on the right track.

Cheers,
Jane