[HNW] Laurels, Beads, and the Nature of Knowledge

Eowyn Amberdrake eowyna at sca-caid.org
Mon Aug 18 08:51:21 PDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:37:32 -0500
  "Auna Oncay" <indiauna at cox-internet.com> wrote:
>>From experience it also depends on your kingdom.  Here in
>>Meridies, they
>want the documentation to support it.  I really was not
>bashing Laurels, I was only stating what I have been told.
>Auriana

It sounds like "the Laurels" or judges in contests [who
may not be Laurels] may ask the question -- "How were
beads attached to this kind of object in this period and
culture?"  It is a valid question to ask, and by asking
it, no one is "beating up on" an entrant.

Valid answers are
  "I don't know" (which might just mean you didn't bother
to look it up, so it isn't a very good answer)

"it is not addressed in the literature, but the method I
used gives a similar effect" and refer the reader to your
bibliography (which means  you did at least try to find
out).

No one will "beat you up" over information that does not
exist.  That doesn't mean that contest judges won't ask
the hard questions. Sometimes the right answer is "no one
knows, yet."

Eowyn Amberdrake, OL, OPel,
Baroness of Lyondemere, Caid