[HNW] Laurels, Beads, and the Nature of Knowledge

Carol Knight carol.knight at chsys.org
Mon Aug 18 09:46:57 PDT 2003

I have found that it depends on who you have as your judge....
I have run up against the one that believes that machine-sewn seams should
not be allowed in any A&S competition, and I have become friends with the
ones who say, "as long as the seams are finished and machine stitching
doesn't show on the outside, its fine."
Notice which ones I said are friends. <G>
True story;
Through as much research as I had available to me at the time, I prepared a
display of ruffs-three of them-for an A&S competition. It was to show the
evolution of the collar treatments over 70 years-I had a collar with a
ruffle, a 2" ruff and a large stand-up collar. In the follow up, when we get
to talk to the Laurels, the misunderstanding was evident. I had box-pleated,
instead of cartridge pleated. That was the only way I could figure out how
they get those elegant figure 8 designs (that, and a lot of starch)
But, my supposition was nixed, because I did not have any period
documentation to prove my point. The lady I was talking to also informed me
that they had to stop one of the other Laurels from opening the collar, to
see what stitches I had used.

So, it is now back to the drawing board. <G> I have taken a couple of years,
expanded my book collection, and I have done some very extensive research
into English clothing of the 16th century. I have not found the ruff
documentation that I need, but I have found some other interesting tidbits,
some that are even germane to this list.

But one thing to remember-Laurels are human. Each is an individual. Some
will not change their notion of doing things, even if you could stuff them
in a time machine and send them back.
And then there are the Real Ones....

Roz
I am not being catty-really.