[HNW] Re:marking on fabric

Dyan Johnson calendre57 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 06:10:57 PDT 2003

When the patterns are small enough & on light colour cloth, I trace them by placing against a window using a charcoal pencil or light drawing pencil. You can find charcoal pencils in a variety of colours other than black. The pencils make a finer point than chaulk & they wash out well. I reccommend using a lighter colour like pale grey or white. Chaulk & charcoal work well on the reverse of a pattern, then draw over the top lines with your cloth underneath - if it's small, rubbing with your thumbnail will transfer the line. There's also a pencil available that irons on after tracing over your pattern. It comes in a pale reddish colour so it doesn't work on darker cloth. I don't know where you live, but our local Walmart & fabric stores have them.
Hope this helps! Dyan

lotsofteapots at charter.net wrote:
What do you use to mark patterns on fabric? And how do you keep the fabric
from shifting when transferring the pattern to it?

Rebecca Schmitt
aka Agnes Cabot, wife of Master Peter Cabot
BRF FOF; Guilde of St. Lawrence

A room without books is like a body without a soul
---Cicero

lotsofteapots at charter.net