[HNW] Live and Kicking Medieval Ebroidery Experts

Eowyn Amberdrake eowyna at sca-caid.org
Thu Feb 13 08:26:45 PST 2003

> I was rather looking for the alive-and-still-kicking variety.

Ones I go to for information (in books or in person):

-- Kathleen Epstein Staples (love her books)

-- Sharon Cohen (Love both her blackwork and her raised
work stuff)

-- Michele Roberts (One class I took from her was a week
long class from her and her co-teacher, William Kentish
Barnes [not an embroiderer, but rather a maker of wire
threads], on goldwork.  It was aimed at the modern
embroiderer, but they answered questions about and  had
information on historical usage; I was not the only SCA
person in the class)

-- Chris Berry (she has held several offices in the
English Embroiderer's Guild; I have gone to her
particularly about Tudor/Elizabethan embroidery)

-- Jane Zimmerman (though I disagree with some of her
"always" and "never" statements, she does do her research
and is a fanatic about technique)

-- Linn Skinner (haven't had the pleasure of a class from
her yet, but I like the research I've seen)

-- museum curators in general have been helpful and
knowledgable.  Mr. Farrell at the Nottingham Museum of
Costumes and Textile was very knowledgable about the Lord
Middleton Collection.

Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles
Eowyn Amberdrake, Baroness of Lyondemere, Caid