[HNW] Re: Elizabethan slips questions

Rachel rachel_holliday at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 02:33:19 PST 2003

The pictures of what appear to be slips on Lady's petticoats are not in fact slips.  They were
painted onto the silk itself.  They were of course designed to look like slips but are not in fact
slips.  It's much easier to see if you view the paintings in real life.  Indeed if you examine
inventories and household accounts, slips are only mentioned in the context of domestic
furnishings.  While this isn't enough to say that they never used them for anything else it does
not proove that they did either.

Rachel

> As to other locations for slips -- domestic furnishings are the most
> common example (as Rachel mentioned) but I have in fact seen their use
> elsewhere -- on ladies' petticoats.  I have only seen this in a few
> portraits, though, so it may not be a typical fashion.
>
> While they are hard to see at
> www.boughtonhouse.org.uk/htm/gallery2/paintings/countessofsoton.htm
> (portrait of Elizabeth Vernon, Countess of Southampton, ca. 1600) they
> are easier to see in the black & white photo of that painting in
> Digby's "Elizabethan Embroidery," plate #33.
>
> The plate opposite it in that book I think also represents a petticoat
> embroidered with slips, though I am not as confident about saying that
> all of the embroideries on the petticoat are slips.  I'm looking for
> that portrait online, but I'm not finding it.  It is a portrait of
> Queen Elizabeth at Hardwick Hall.  All I can find of it is an
> upholstery textile inspired by the the petticoat in the portrait, at
> http://www.marvictextiles.co.uk/pages/newsupdate.asp

=====
Rachel

Tudor Bibliography