[HNW] question re perle cotton

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 4 14:45:34 PST 2003

Dear List:

When it comes to crochet thread, is it truly a matter of size 5 = size 5 =
size 5?

I am trying to crochet two  baby bonnets from vintage era directions. One,
from 1916, calls for size 5 crochet cotton and size 7 (steel) hook. The
other (from 1915) says size 5 perle cotton. (no hook size given).Neither
pattern gives gauge or tells what size baby it fits. (arrghh!)

I'm assuming I can use Aunt Lydia's Fast Five (twice as thick as a size 10
crochet cotton). I've just finished the 1915 bonnet and it seesm large to
me -- like it would fit a  2  year old. I have some skeins of size 5 perle
cotton around the house. It seems to be spun lighter and softer than the
Fast Five. I'm going to buy a ball of size 5 perle cotton, try a size 6
hook, and see if it comes out smaller.

Meanwhile, I went though various crochet books I have. "The Reader's Digest
Complete Guide To Needlework" has a photo chart showing, it seems to me,
that a size 5 = size 5= size 5, whether it's perle cottonor regular crochet
thread.. Does anyone on the List have experience knitting or crocheting with
size 5 perle cotton? Is it truly equivalent in weight to size 5 crochet
cotton? (Kayta-- I bet you know!)

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"