[HNW] Re: H-needlework digest, Vol 1 #617 - 3 msgs

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 13:33:41 PST 2003

Dear Ron:

< Size 5 means you get 5 meters per gram at least thats the way it works for
perle cotton.>

Oh-- I assumed that crochet thread sizes had something to do with mm
diameter of thread or some such.

Chris:

< Don't forget that the Victorians used the word "baby" to cover a wider age
range than we do -- so if the bonnet fits a 2-year-old it's entirely
possible that that's what's intended.>

Well 1915 isn't Victorian. That aside,I was wondering if the bonnet was
meant for a toddler.  I also realize that girl and boy babies were both
dressed the same (and very feminine) until at least c.1900. I remember
seeing a photo of F.D.R. at his home in Hyde Park. In the photo he was 2 or
3 and wearing a dress.

< The youngest child of a family could be referred to as a "baby" sometimes
as late as age 5 or 6 ...>

FWIW I hear that term used today for children under 5! Meanwhile, I think I
will make a note on this pattern to use size 10 or 20 thread Next Time.

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries....too little time"