[HNW] Welsh needlework?

Eowyn Amberdrake eowyna at sca-caid.org
Tue Mar 18 11:28:17 PST 2003

Hello,

As far as I aware, your request is more specific than the
archaeological record can, at the moment, answer.

On the other hand, a 10th c. bit of needlework has been
recovered from the Llangorse crannog recently (1995, I
believe) and written up in a very readable paper published
last year in the conference proceedings volume of the 4th
Insular Art conference, entitled: "Pattern and Purpose" (I
ordered my copy from Amazon.com).  The Llangorse textile
appears to be the remains of a linen garment, embroidered
in silk thread in counted stem stitch treated like a
filling stitch. Since the cloth was burned before it was
drowned, no color information survives.

Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles
(aka Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid)