[HNW] Welsh needlework?

Rev Dr Ari D Jordon DD urizen at spamcop.net
Tue Mar 18 11:47:12 PST 2003

--Back in the dark ages (or at least on 3/18/2003 11:28 AM -0800), Eowyn
Amberdrake <eowyna at sca-caid.org> had the audacity to proclaim:

> Hello,
>
> As far as I aware, your request is more specific than the
> archaeological record can, at the moment, answer.

either an advantage or a disadvantage of doing earlier period, depending on
your point of view :)

> On the other hand, a 10th c. bit of needlework has been
> recovered from the Llangorse crannog recently (1995, I
> believe) and written up in a very readable paper published
> last year in the conference proceedings volume of the 4th
> Insular Art conference, entitled: "Pattern and Purpose" (I
> ordered my copy from Amazon.com).  The Llangorse textile
> appears to be the remains of a linen garment, embroidered
> in silk thread in counted stem stitch treated like a
> filling stitch. Since the cloth was burned before it was
> drowned, no color information survives.

came across references to this in the archives before posting.
unfortunately, only references google turned up were said archives.  will
see if i can track down the book at the library, can't quite justify $85
right now :)
---
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.