[HNW] Celtic design motifs [ was vines, etc.]

Eowyn Amberdrake eowyna at sca-caid.org
Mon Mar 24 08:00:23 PST 2003

A previous message mentioned:
>derived from the La Tene styles, that is, from the Etruscans, and that
>interlace comes to the British Isles with the Saxons.
>
>Gerald of Ipsley, OL, OP

Hello!
La Tene designs being ultimately Etruscan? My
understanding is that they were associated with the Celtic
tribes.  The big Rizzoli-published book, _The Celts_, does
mention that "A set of inscriptions in letters borrowed
from the Etruscan alphabet came to light at a site of the
so-called Golasecca Culture in northern Italy. " [p. 34]
Once deciphered, they proved to be a Celtic language. But
saying that the La Tene designs are ultimately Etruscan
seems a large leap.  Where did you find that?  I'd love to
read it.

And interlace coming the the Saxons?  Nordenfalk
associates the introduction of interlace to Britain with
the spread of Coptic-produced  Biblical mss.  What
evidence do you have that associates interlacing  with
Saxons, instead of, say, the spread of Christianity based
from St . Augustine's mission to Britain (which tradition
also is the source of much wonderful inhabited vine work).
 The beast style apparently comes from the Germanic
tribes, yes, but pure interlacing?  Please, tell me more.

Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid
OL, OP, Baroness of Lyondemere