[HNW] Celtic design motifs

SNSpies@aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 07:09:25 PST 2003

> Elizabeth Barber's _The Mummies of Urumchi_, which
> brings the topic back to textiles, if not embroidery.  There are fantastic
> woven and felted textiles found on mummies in the northern desserts of
> China, and Barber presents some interesting evidence that these 3000 year
> old mummies may have been racially Celtic.  It's a very good read.

Although I can not give you any specifics, I overheard a discussion among
European textile scholars who were involved with these textiles and
discoveries who were saying that the only really good thing about Barber's
book was the photographs.  Ms. Barber has a tendency, I understand, to make
leap-of-faith assumptions ... and I can tell you personally that she is
flat-out wrong about the information about tablet weavin in one of her other
books.

Nancy