[HNW] Celtic design motifs

Sarah Randles s-randles at adfa.edu.au
Thu Mar 27 18:20:24 PST 2003

Nancy said:

>Although I can not give you any specifics, I overheard a discussion among
>European textile scholars who were involved with these textiles and
>discoveries who were saying that the only really good thing about Barber's
>book was the photographs.  Ms. Barber has a tendency, I understand, to make
>leap-of-faith assumptions ... and I can tell you personally that she is
>flat-out wrong about the information about tablet weavin in one of her other
>books.

That's interesting to know.  I wasn't overly impressed with _Women's Work:
the first 20,000 Years_ (or however long it was), but I enjoyed M of U -
probably because I knew so much less about the textiles she was discussing
that I didn't have the means to be critical about it!  Some of her premises
in Women's Work are interesting, and, I think, probably true, about why
textile work is predominantly women's in prehistoric Europe (mostly because
it can be combined with the work of looking after children).  But it
doesn't carry through to the medieval period, where my own work tends to
suggest that the reasons for the gender divisions in textile production are
more complex, and it doesn't adequately describe gender divisions in
pre-industrial cultures, such as Nigeria, where both men and women, weave,
but in different ways.

Sarah
Sarah Randles
s.randles at adfa.edu.au

Australian National Dictionary Centre
Australian National University
ACT 0200
Phone: (02) 6125 0476 Fax: (02) 6125 0475
(On Thursdays and Fridays, I am at the School of English, ADFA on Ph: (02)
6268 8387, same e-mail address.)