[HNW] Greetings and about Opus Anglicanum

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Nov 2 06:47:28 PST 2003

Hello, Peter.  Welcome to H-needlework!(even if a bit late...I'm finally
catching up on my email backlog!)
Opus Anglicanum is bee-yootiful stuff that I'd love to learn to do some
day. I've gotten to see some of the real thing up-close (in an art
museum in Seattle, and last year in England).  The detail and fineness
of the stitching is just amazing! I've been driving myself pleasantly
crazy trying to find a source for the type of silk threads I saw in
use....
I've got one online source for you that I happened to run across in a
costuming context:
http://www.cottesimple.com/alms_purse/alms_purse_history.html
It talks about some of the more secular examples, in a purse context.
The author also mentions some books.
I've also got a few hard-copy things (article written by someone in
Australia, that sort of thing) if you're interested.
And if you ever want to chat about the SCA and needlework off-list, feel
free to contact me.
--sue, who mostly does blackwork and spinning (but I do laurel stuff in
other contexts)

)