[HNW] Greetings and about Opus Anglicanum

Kathy kth62 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 09:36:45 PST 2003

First off to Peter.. i have the handout from the Opus Anglicanum course i took yesterday  at the Grand Ithra here in Lionsgate.. if you let me know offlist where you are i would be more than happy to photocopy it and mail it to you.. I understand the split stitch was the one most often used as well...

And yes, mooncat, Opus Anglicanum is  beeeeee yooooo tiful stuff.. I am really excited about it.. brought home a sampler of an angel to finish..  <g>  has the most delightfully impish expression on her face..  The instructor also had samples of her own work, and you should have heard the oooooooohhhs and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhs when she passed it around..

The silk threads  used can be purchased at most silk weavers.. and even some  craft shops..  ditto for the gold and silver metallic threads...  the silk thread used for over -and underside couching  are also available in most lewiscraft and other craft shoppes..

And I would be delighited to chat offlist re SCA and needlework..

Oh and before i forget.. thanks ever so much for the links and for the note about  secular items used ..........

and here i thought cross-stitch was the height of my needlework  abilities... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Catriona
Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
Hello, Peter. Welcome to H-needlework!(even if a bit late...I'm finally
catching up on my email backlog!)
Opus Anglicanum is bee-yootiful stuff that I'd love to learn to do some
day. I've gotten to see some of the real thing up-close (in an art
museum in Seattle, and last year in England). The detail and fineness
of the stitching is just amazing! I've been driving myself pleasantly
crazy trying to find a source for the type of silk threads I saw in
use....
I've got one online source for you that I happened to run across in a
costuming context:
http://www.cottesimple.com/alms_purse/alms_purse_history.html
It talks about some of the more secular examples, in a purse context.
The author also mentions some books.
I've also got a few hard-copy things (article written by someone in
Australia, that sort of thing) if you're interested.
And if you ever want to chat about the SCA and needlework off-list, feel
free to contact me.
--sue, who mostly does blackwork and spinning (but I do laurel stuff in
other contexts)

)